Bajra Khichdi

Rajasthani cuisine is known for simple comfort food and Khichdi is one among them.Several types of khichdi are made in our region but The most popular of them being The Bajra Khichdi/Whole millet Khichdi,A very famous Rajasthani delicacy adapted to use Bajra.Hence rice is not being native to Rajasthan So Rajasthani people prefer to use Bajra,wheat or jowar in their food preparation.It is one such innovative Rajasthani Khichdi that is not easy to make but really very yummy.The recipe I share with you a simple home style Khichdi.This the way I have had it as a kid and I like it the best.
When I think of the ultimate comfort food,I think of my Nani's Khichdi....A warm and comforting Khichdi made with Bajra and Moth Dal,Slow cooked ,Rich with lots of ghee,Gooey and So creamy.My Nani used to make it in an open pot with  a lid but that takes longer time So I made this in pressure cooker,very simple and mildly spiced version of Bajra Khichdi and I paired this Khichdi with best combo ever Kadhi and papadum with lots of ghee ....It was the most comforting and soul satisfying food. Bajra in this Khichdi gives it a bite and ghee adds a wonderful flavour.Make this for your lunch or dinner and enjoy....

Ingredients:

  1. Whole millet-1 cup
  2. Split green gram or yellow gram -1/4 cup
  3. Rice-1/8cup
  4. Ghee-1/4 cup
  5. Water-5 cup
  6. Salt-According to taste 

Procedure:

  • Grind the Bajra coarsely in a mixer.Boil water in a pressure cooker. 
  • Add Moth Dal/Chana Dal and rice.Then add Bajra and salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
  • Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles and Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.Now cook on low flame for 4-5 minutes to get creamy consistency.
  • Top it with Desi Ghee and serve hot with Kadhi and enjoy.....

Comments